The Asian tiger mosquito has very distinctive markings and is easily identifiable by even a casual observer. It will bite as often during broad daylight as near dawn or dusk. This mosquito is a "container breeder" which will deposit its eggs in almost any type of natural or artificial container which will hold water. The Asian tiger mosquito has a limited flight range and is most often encountered near its breeding habitat. This mosquito can transmit dangerous mosquito-borne diseases such as dengue fever, eastern equine encephalitis, and dog heartworm. It is also a potential vector of St. Louis and LaCrosse encephalitis viruses.
Biology And Behavior
- Adult females are approximately 1/4 of an inch in length.
- Both adult males and females are covered with shiny black scales with silver or white bands on their legs and dotted lines on their abdomens.
- Its most distinctive characteristic is a striking band of silver or white scales down its thorax.
- You can find mosquito larvae in artificial containers such as tires, flowerpots, buckets, trash receptacles, ornamental ponds, birdbaths, pet watering dishes, clogged guttering, and abandoned cups and cans.
- Mosquito larval development may also occur in natural containers such as tree holes and leaf axils.
- Asian tiger mosquitoes may share their breeding habitats with other mosquito species.
- In temperate climates like ours, this mosquito overwinters in the egg stage.
Asian Tiger Mosquito Prevention Tips
- Drain areas of standing water or treat with an appropriately labeled mosquito larvacide.
- Keep grass cut short and eliminate dense vegetation, which serves as resting sites for adult mosquitoes.
- Install or repair screen doors and windows to keep mosquitoes outdoors.
- Use an insect repellant containing DEET (N, N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide) on exposed skin and thin clothing when outside.
- When weather permits, wear long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and socks outdoors.
- Check with your local government to see if there is a community mosquito abatement program in your area.
- Organize neighborhood cleanup days to pick up abandoned containers in parks and alleyways and clean up vacant lots.
Action's Mosquito Control Services
- Residential Mosquito Control Treatments
- Commercial Mosquito Abatement Services
- Community-Wide Abatement Programs
- One-Time Mosquito Treatments for Events
Helpful Articles About Mosquitoes
For more information about mosquitoes, please visit our Mosquito Resource Center.
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Action is trusted by over 23,000 happy customers, see what our customers are saying!
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”