Termite Control 101: An Identification And Control Guide For Evansville Properties
Termites may be small, but they can cause big problems for homeowners in Evansville. These silent destroyers can go unnoticed until they do extensive damage. But fear not! In this comprehensive guide, we'll equip you with the knowledge you need to identify termite activity, understand the threat they pose, and take effective measures for termite control in Evansville.
Termite Activity: How To Identify The Signs
Before we delve into the world of termite prevention and control, let's learn how to recognize the signs of termite activity. Subterranean termites build mud tubes that extend from the ground to their food source, often found on the walls or foundation of your home. After swarming, termites shed their wings, leaving them behind near windowsills and light fixtures.
Termites in Evansville feed on wood from the inside out, leaving hollowed-out, damaged wood that may sound hollow when tapped. Tiny, pellet-like droppings known as frass can accumulate near termite entry points. In some cases, you may hear clicking or rustling sounds coming from infested wood.
Understanding The Termite Threat: Why Termites Infest Homes
Termites gravitate to cellulose, a key component of wood, paper, and plant materials. They play a vital role in breaking down dead trees and plant matter in the wild, but when they enter your home, they view it as a buffet of cellulose-rich materials:
- Termites are highly attracted to moisture. Leaky pipes, poor drainage, and water accumulation around your property can create an inviting environment for these pests.
- Termites thrive in warm temperatures. Your heated home during the winter is a welcoming sanctuary for them.
- Termites often enter homes through cracks in the foundation, gaps in siding, or even infested firewood brought indoors.
Homes with wooden components, like wooden frames, beams, and siding, provide termites with an abundant food source. That's how you end up with a termite problem.
Calling in the Experts: Professional Termite Control
While recognizing termite activity is essential, knowing when to call in the experts, like those here at Action Pest Control, when there are termites in your home is equally important. Professional termite control is often the most effective way to deal with a termite infestation. Equipped with knowledge of termite behavior and habits, professionals can accurately identify the type of termite infesting your property and tailor their treatment accordingly.
Stay Termite-Free: Helpful Tips To Prevent Reinfestation
Once you've addressed a termite infestation, you should take steps to prevent reinfestations. Here are some helpful tips to keep your Evansville property termite-free:
- Address any moisture issues in and around your home. Fix leaks promptly, ensure proper drainage, and eliminate water accumulation.
- Avoid wood-to-ground contact around your property. Termites can easily travel from soil to wood, so use concrete or metal barriers when possible.
- Consider using termite-resistant materials for construction or renovation projects. These materials are less appealing to termites.
- Store firewood, lumber, and other wooden materials away from your home's foundation. Elevate them off the ground and keep them dry.
- Trim back overgrown plants since they can provide a pathway for termites to enter your property.
Schedule regular termite inspections with Action Pest Control to catch any early signs of infestation. Prevention is often more cost-effective than treatment. However, professional termite control services in Evansville are far more effective than DIY treatments.
Reach out to Action Pest Control to schedule an inspection with our experienced technicians, who will implement a specialized termite treatment plan. We can also help with regular maintenance and preventive treatments.
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Action is trusted by over 23,000 happy customers, see what our customers are saying!
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”