Thought to have originated in North Africa or southern Russia, Oriental cockroaches now live throughout the U.S. Typically, Oriental cockroaches prefer cooler environments than other cockroach species. Still, they can infest warmer environs such as attics, soffits, and boiler rooms. This cockroach is particularly offensive because of the foul odor it emits and the filth associated with it.
Biology And Behavior
- They are a large, black cockroach that ranges from 1 to 1.25 inches in length.
- Their egg capsules are dropped or attached near food sources.
- The egg capsules contain 16 eggs per capsule and hatch in 60 days.
- This cockroach spends much of its life outdoors beneath mulch, leaf litter, and debris.
- They migrate indoors in large numbers during droughts and unseasonably cool weather.
- Oriental cockroach populations peak in spring and summer.
- They will feed on almost any food item, especially starch-based materials.
Oriental Cockroach Prevention Tips
- Door thresholds should be tight. Installing brush shields or rubber gaskets is effective.
- Remove food and moisture sources (i.e., roof leaks, pipe leaks, and food spills).
- Keep floor drains filled with water or cover drain openings with fine mesh screens.
- Seal cracks in floors, walls, and ceilings with a sealant.
- Fill window and door frame gaps and utility openings with a sealant.
- Keep shrubs, vines, and tree limbs trimmed away from the structure.
- Mulch should be less than three inches deep; gravel perimeters are best around a structure.
- Remove garbage daily and store containers outside.
- Remove leaf litter and yard wastes from around a foundation.
- Don't stack lumber, firewood, bricks, or other debris next to your foundation.
Action's Cockroach Control Services
Helpful Articles About Oriental Cockroaches
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Action is trusted by over 23,000 happy customers, see what our customers are saying!
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”