Pavement ants are common around homes and commercial facilities constructed on concrete slabs. Found foraging along walkways, patios, and porch stoops, primarily where cracks or expansion joints exist. They feed on items such as dead insects, food spillage, and even discarded cigarette butts. Pavement ants carry bits of food through cracks to their underground nests.
Biology And Behavior
- Pavement ants are small, black, shiny ants that are between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch long.
- Colonies are smaller than similar ant species, but ants can number into the thousands.
- Workers, when viewed with a hand lens, have small grooves on their heads.
- Their heads are large and usually wider than their bodies.
- Workers are capable of biting and stinging but don’t usually do so.
- Their nests are beneath concrete slabs, pavement, and occasionally in hollow block voids.
- They can nest under landscaping stones, stepping stones, walkways, and patios.
- Workers can forage great distances to a food source.
- They will feed on almost anything and are considered omnivorous.
Pavement Ant Prevention Tips
- Remove food and moisture sources (i.e., leaky faucets and hoses, pet bowls).
- Remove garbage daily and store it in refuse-holding containers outdoors.
- Fill concrete slab and foundation cracks with an epoxy sealant.
- Treat plant-feeding insects with an approved insecticide.
- Fill window and door frame gaps and utility openings with an appropriate sealant.
- Wash ant trails with a mild detergent to eliminate pheromone cues that may attract other ants.
Action's Ant Control Services
- Complete And Advanced Home Pest Control
- Commercial Pest Management Services
- Industrial Pest Management Services
- Pest-Proofing Services
Helpful Articles About Pavement Ants
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Action is trusted by over 23,000 happy customers, see what our customers are saying!
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”