Camel crickets are light to dark brown, and they can be mottled and have dark banding on some of their body segments. Adults are wingless and grow to between 1/2 and 1 1/2 inches in length. Camel crickets get their name from their humpbacked appearance. These crickets have large, powerful legs that they use to jump away from predators and other dangers.
Biology and Behavior
- Camel crickets are nocturnal, meaning they hide during the day and come out a night to feed.
- Female camel crickets lay their eggs in the early spring, and the eggs hatch in April.
- Camel crickets are wingless, so they don't chirp like other species of crickets.
- Camel crickets seek shelter inside homes and other buildings during the winter months, and they overwinter as either adults or nymphs.
- Camel crickets enter inside homes and other buildings if the weather becomes too hot or dry for their liking.
- You will find camel crickets living underneath stones, woodpiles, mulch, landscaping ties, and fallen trees outside.
- Inside buildings, camel crickets like to hide and live in basements, crawl spaces, laundry rooms, and other areas that provide them with a dark, damp environment.
- Camel crickets are not known to carry or transmit any diseases that affect people.
- Inside homes, camel crickets may feed on and damage fabric items.
Camel Cricket Prevention Tips
- Place a barrier between your home's foundation and any mulch or grass.
- Seal any cracks in your home's foundation or exterior walls. Caulk around basement doors and windows, and install door sweeps.
- Be sure that your home's gutters are routinely maintained to ensure that they work properly to direct water away from your home.
- Use dehumidifiers or air conditioners in your home to reduce humidity levels.
- Reduce the clutter in basements, closets, and other storage areas to limit the places inside of your home that they have to hide.
Action's Cricket Control Services
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Action is trusted by over 23,000 happy customers, see what our customers are saying!
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”