If you've discovered the presence of termites in your home, you're likely overwhelmed and exhausted thinking about the future. Even a smaller colony can consume entire 2x4s if left unattended, leaving you and your property in the path of danger.
But a termite infestation doesn't need to be a permanent fixture in your home. By following some of the best prevention tips and management tactics, you can regain control of the pests in your yard and come up with a game plan to better manage your property.
How is this possible, you ask? With the help of this guide, of course!
This comprehensive article covers everything you need to know about effective termite control near Jasper homes. Once we explain how you can identify the signs of termite activity near your home, we explore their long-term consequences and how prevention can help you stay safe.
Not sure what your best option is for getting rid of termites? We also discuss how year-round termite control can hedge your bets against infestations.
Now, let's take a closer look at termite control in Jasper – starting with how to identify their signs and symptoms around your home.
How To Identify Signs Of Termite Activity
You may think you're familiar with the signs of termite activity, especially if you've seen their damage up close. But if you're trying to spot a termite infestation in Jasper before property damage occurs, you may find the process a little more complicated (and a lot more difficult) than before.
It's a good idea to keep an eye out for the more subtle signs and symptoms of termite activity.
A few of the most common of these include:
- The creation of mud tunnels around basements and foundations. These can be relatively easy to miss unless you have previous experience with infestations. They can also be hard to spot without a good flashlight on hand.
- Hollow-sounding wood when knocked. Firewood, support beams, and exposed wooden pillars should sound solid when tapped – not empty or weak. If your wood yields easily when applying light pressure, you need to seek professional pest control.
- Light frass piles near suspicious 1/4 inch holes in the wall. These tiny piles of ultra-fine sawdust indicate a serious and ongoing termite infestation that may be spreading to other areas of your home.
- Soft clicking sounds emanating from the walls. Not everyone has a keen enough ear to hear soldier termites banging their heads. However, if you're starting to get suspicious about the odd noises in your walls, you need to contact a professional team like Action Pest Control for help.
Perhaps the most obvious sign of an active termite infestation is live swarmers inside or outside your home. Reproductive termites, also called alates, fly in huge clouds to find a mate and settle down. Finding large numbers around your home may indicate an infestation near your basement, foundation, or firewood pile.
The sooner you spot termites crowding around your property, the sooner you need to act. Waiting could allow these pests to take over your home – putting you and your property in harm's way.
Understanding The Long-Term Consequences Of Termite Damage
Termite infestations don't just 'give up' on their own. Like many other pests in the Jasper area, they're not keen to relocate unless there's considerable reason to do so – which typically means losing their queen, suffering irreparable damage, or exhausting the resources surrounding their colony.
Think you're more patient than a six-legged bug? No dice; you can't out-wait termites, either. Since some colonies can survive more than 100 years without intervention, there's little, if any, chance you can get rid of infestations without external support.
It's clear termites aren't going anywhere without a fight. But not taking action today could lead to disastrous results tomorrow. The truth is that the long-term consequences of termite damage are far more serious than you might believe.
- Studies show that termite populations cause more than $5 billion in damages every year. Left alone to breed and thrive, they can establish major colonies supporting 60,000 or more individual members.
- Termites can easily reduce your property's equity and make it more difficult to sell your home. Some lenders outright refuse to levy mortgages on termite-infested homes, which means you may be stuck with your current property for the foreseeable future.
- Large termite infestations can ruin structural supports and reduce the stability of surrounding architecture. There have been several cases of termites collapsing homes both abroad and within the United States.
- Ongoing termite activity can reduce your curb appeal by buckling walls, peeling paint, and creating small patches of what looks like 'water damage.' You may not notice these side effects until it's too late or accidentally treat the symptoms of your infestation rather than address their root cause.
Although these issues are serious at best, they pale in comparison to the termite's greatest danger. Long-term property damage is not covered by most homeowners' insurance, which means failing to catch an infestation could put you in a difficult financial situation.
You can see how dangerous wood-eating insects can be, especially when allowed to grow and thrive in your home. That said, termite infestations are anything but untreatable. They can be easily prevented with the right tools and tactics.
How, you may ask?
Let's look at a few termite prevention tips below.
Prevention Is Critical To Effective Termite Control
The best way to manage termite activity in Jasper is to prevent their arrival at your home in the first place. It may not be feasible to eradicate all termites from your area, but it is possible to keep infestations from gaining a foothold nearby.
Action Pest Control is a firm believer in the power of pest prevention. We believe that action brings clarity in many ways, which is why we encourage you to begin your termite-free journey with solid termite prevention.
- Start by having your home professionally treated by state-of-the-art termite deterrents. Whether you're making improvements to your home or starting from the ground up, you can always chat with a pro from Action Pest Control about products that keep termites away.
- Remove sticks from the yard, debris from the garden, and leaf litter from rooftop gutters. This keeps moisture away from the yard and encourages termites to look elsewhere for water.
- Control the humidity levels present inside your home. This means fixing pipes, unclogging drains, and addressing problem areas. If you don't want to use an expensive dehumidifier in your bathroom, basement, or kitchen, you can always opt for desiccant bags or even a container of silica beads.
- Stack any firewood piles at least 25 feet away from the sides of your home. And be sure to discard any suspicious-looking logs with signs of termite activity (like frass or tunneling).
Keep in mind you shouldn't look at termite prevention as a one-time or seasonal activity. You must constantly look for ways to improve your surroundings and keep pests away by removing attractant factors.
This can be difficult without the right support. However, 24/7/365 termite control is possible with the right team. If you work with the knowledgeable professionals behind Action Pest Control, you can rest easy in your termite-free home all year long.
The Benefits Of Year-Round Professional Termite Control
By using prevention or mitigation alone, there's no way to completely avoid the risk of termites in Jasper. There are always risks involved with pest activity in our area, which means even the best prevention steps could result in an infestation.
But if you're feeling defeated after discovering a termite colony, don't throw in the towel just yet. There are some simple and effective treatments available to you that can restore your property to its former glory. And with year-round termite control from Action Pest Control, you can start working on solutions in as little as 24 hours.
Action Pest Control counts it as an honor to guide Jasper homeowners through the termite control process. Offering simple and effective ways to get rid of infestations fast, we help you regain complete control over your beloved property.
First, we begin with a comprehensive inspection to better understand your situation. We want to know what you're working with before prescribing any solutions so we can be the best possible stewards of your property.
Next, we apply a full termite treatment with state-of-the-art Termidor products. This is followed by a three-month termite elimination inspection to ensure we've removed every last termite from your property.
Finally, we wrap up our process with an annual termite inspection so you can sit back and relax with total peace of mind. If you suspect additional activity or are worried about a resurgence, our money-back guarantee and damage warranty have you covered completely.
Curious to learn more about our termite control services in Jasper? Feel free to contact Action Pest Control today. We would be happy to provide you with additional information and offer a 100% free quote before getting started.
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Action is trusted by over 23,000 happy customers, see what our customers are saying!
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”