Why Are There Fleas In My Indianapolis, IN Home?
We’d hate to put a flea in your ear like this, but your chances of getting a flea infestation in Indianapolis, IN are extremely high. And no, they aren't lower just because you don’t keep pets indoors. Yes, we really mean it!
Your pets are certainly the most prominent reason for finding fleas inside your home, but they certainly aren’t the only factors involved. In fact, just living in the Indianapolis area puts you at risk for exposure to fleas and their activities.
Facts About Fleas
You will likely never see a flea up close, and even if you did, you probably won't see much. These creatures are extremely hard to see with the naked eye alone. Their long legs, hairy limbs, and odd-looking bodies are enough to give anyone the creeps! To make matters worse, there’s no shortage of fleas outside (in nature or otherwise). There are over 2,500 different flea species that call our planet home, but only the most common species will plague our homes, pets, and loved ones.
If you’re wondering why or how fleas got into your home in the first place, we might be able to help. Have you recently:
- Taken a pet on a hike or long walk near tall grass?
- Been in an area with unkempt shrubbery?
- Spent time around other people’s pets, pet beds, or toys?
- Found a rodent infestation in the house?
If you can answer ‘yes’ to any of the above questions, you may have just answered your own question.
Fleas can travel on almost every creature with fur and can be found around tall grasses and wild plant growth in any backyard. Prevention can be difficult in our area, especially due to the high volume of pets and people nearby. However, there are some steps you can take right now to reduce your chances of flea infestations in the future.
Eliminate your Indianapolis, IN flea concerns with these helpful steps.
Send Fleas Packing – Start Your Prevention Off Strong!
If you do have pets living inside the house with you, take the following flea precautions.
- Have your animals treated against fleas all year round. Consider purchasing oral medications, flea collars, or topical ointments depending on your pet’s needs.
- Other pets including horses, livestock, chickens, and outdoor dogs and cats should be treated for flea activity. Consult with a local veterinarian for additional information.
- Practice good hygiene with your animals, and have them bathed and brushed regularly.
- Schedule regular vet visits that confirm or deny the presence of flea dirt on your pet.
If you do not currently own a pet, there are still some steps you can take to reduce your risks for a chance infestation such as:
- Deter all wildlife or rodent species from coming too close to the home. This can be done by making your lawn less pest friendly. Remove food sources, reduce water locations, and otherwise keep an eye on your property.
- Meticulously maintain the yard by cutting the grass regularly, pruning trees and shrubs, and eliminating any unseemly plant growth around the property.
- Have your home inspected for underlying rodent activity that could be introducing fleas into the home. Call Action Pest Control for a household inspection at your earliest convenience.
Action Pest Control Fritters Away Your Flea Problems
Fleas are frustrating pests, but with Action Pest Control, there is always hope. Our actionable professionals are always ready and available to provide you with additional tips, tricks, and flea prevention advice.
To learn more about what we do, or to book an appointment with one of our flea elimination pros, reach out to our Indianapolis, IN location immediately. We’ll be ready to take your call at any time at Action Pest Control.
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Action is trusted by over 23,000 happy customers, see what our customers are saying!
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”