Prevent Fleas & Ticks Around Your Terre Haute, IN Home This Fall
Cooler weather signals the unofficial end of mosquito season, but other blood-sucking pests are still out for a bite. Fleas and ticks can be a problem all year long but are especially troublesome during the fall. And while these pests may be small, they can cause huge problems for pets and people alike. Here’s what you need to know to prevent fleas & ticks around your Terre Haute home.
Why Fall Is The Worst Season For Fleas & Ticks
The summer and spring are likely to bring their share of fleas and ticks, but the fall is when these parasitic pests cause the most problems. By some estimates, flea and tick populations can surge between 50% and 70% higher than average during this time.
It’s speculated that the fall is particularly bad for fleas and ticks for a few reasons:
- Increase in precipitation
- Cooler temperatures hovering around 70 degrees
- Increase in outdoor activity
These factors combine to create an ideal climate with plenty of hosts for fleas and ticks to feed on.
Dangers Of Fleas & Ticks
They won’t destroy your property or make a racket while you sleep, but fleas and ticks can be a dangerous problem around the home. When they feed, these pests spread disease. And while not every bite will result in contracting an illness, the chances of transmission are still high enough to warrant caution wherever fleas and ticks inhabit.
Fleas can cause irritating, itchy welts for pets and their owners. Excessive scratching can lead to loss of skin and possible secondary infection. Fleas can cause typhus and may transmit tapeworm parasites when they bite. Although rare, fleas are still known to cause bubonic plague today.
Ticks famously spread Lyme disease, a debilitating chronic illness. However, depending on the particular species and your location, they can cause many other illnesses, including Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF) and tularemia.
While these pests are most at home outdoors, they can survive indoors as well. Ticks tend to fare poorly once inside, but fleas often thrive by hiding in carpeting, furniture, and bedding around the home.
How To Prevent Fleas & Ticks
Preventing fleas and ticks is all about taking precautions. By protecting yourself when you head outdoors and thoroughly checking pets and family members for blood-sucking hitchhikers, you can help to keep fleas and ticks out of your Terre Haute home.
Some easy prevention methods include:
- Wear proper attire. When walking pets, hiking, or playing outdoors, be sure to dress in long-sleeved shirts, pants, and long socks.
- Check pets. Give your furry friends a regular inspection after any time spent outdoors, whether in the yard, the dog park, or the hiking trail.
- Check yourself. Don’t forget to check your clothing — especially your legs — for any fleas or ticks you may have picked up.
- Do yard work. Mow the lawn, trim hedges, and eliminate any overgrown vegetation in your yard. Dispose of any leaf piles or yard waste while you’re at it.
- Try fencing. Deter wildlife that may carry fleas and ticks by installing fencing around the perimeter of your property.
- Move furniture. Relocate any outdoor furniture, including playground equipment, to areas that receive lots of sunlight.
Flea & Tick Service From Action Pest Control
With pest control services in Terre Haute from Action Pest Control, you can say goodbye to fleas and ticks around your Terre Haute home. Our Complete Home Pest Control plan covers fleas and ticks along with a comprehensive variety of common home-infesting pests. We can treat both exterior and interior areas of your home for the safe, effective elimination of any pests you may have. Contact us today for more information about our residential and commercial pest control services in Terre Haute.
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Action is trusted by over 23,000 happy customers, see what our customers are saying!
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”