Bed Bug Problem Likely To Increase This Summer
In the last few months, bed bugs in Indiana have been making headlines here. A few months back, a mother and daughter brought home more than great memories from their vacation, in April bed bug bites sent an Indy woman to the hospital and just this month, bed bugs gained attention when they were found in an hospital intake area. From all the news stories just in this state, it’s clear that the bed bug problem persists. And we’re sorry to say, that as summer ramps up, the problem is likely to grow.
A couple of years ago, the NPMA and University of Kentucky surveyed pest management professionals across the country. When asked if there was a bed bug season, nearly half (49%) of respondents said the bed bug infestations were more likely to occur during the summer months. Why you might ask? Bed bugs are hitchhikers. They travel by suitcase, purse, other belongings and even on coattails. And because travel increases during the summer, bed bugs are more likely to be transported.
With that in mind and because it’s Bed Bug Awareness Week, we thought we’d share a few facts about these biting pests.
- Bed bugs are not dangerous. You don’t have to worry about disease when it comes to bed bug bites. Unlike ticks and mosquitoes, bed bugs do not transmit illness.
- Bed bugs are embarrassing. But they don’t have to be. If you have found bed bugs in your home or business, don’t be ashamed but seek help immediately. Bed bugs don’t discriminate and are not a sign of a dirty home and are just as likely to infest five-star hotels as they are ones that are easier on the budget.
- Throwing out the mattress will not resolve a bed bug problem. All too often we hear about homeowners tossing out their mattress or other infested furniture and thinking the problem is resolved. Wrong! Bed bugs don’t just hide out in beds, they’ll lurk in the cracks of furniture, under flooring, behind pictures on the wall and even inside electronics. If you put your bed bug infested couch out on the curb, you could even spread these bugs to another home.
- Bed bugs will not go away without treatment. In order to completely get rid of bed bugs, you must treat the affected area. Professional bed bug control is always best.
If you’re planning a summer getaway this year, be sure to remain vigilant in the airport, on the plane, in the cab and at the hotel. Keep your eyes out for these insects on the way to your destination and on the return trip. And remember bed bugs can go a long time without a blood meal so you must inspect your belongings thoroughly when you get home.
If you are worried about a bed bug problem in your home or business, contact Action Pest Control. Our bed bug control services include:
- Bed bug dog inspections
- Highly effective and eco-friendly heat treatments
- Fumigation for commercial facilities
For more information about bed bugs or to discuss treatment options, simply give us a call. And please take a moment to share what you've learned about bed bugs with a friend this week.
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”