Do you know about Norway rats in Indianapolis? These large Indianapolis rodents can grow to be up to 18 inches long, including their tail, and they're causing big problems in Indianapolis homes.
If you're a homeowner here, then it's important to be on the lookout for Norway rats. These pests can quickly take over, and they can cause a lot of damage in the process, to both your home and your health.
So, what are some of the signs that you have Norway rats in your home? And what can you do to get rid of them safely and permanently? Action Pest Control will go over what you need to know about these pests. We'll discuss some signs that you have a Norway rat problem, where these pests like to hide, and the safest way to get rid of them. We'll also talk about how pest control in Indianapolis can help you get rid of them for good.
Signs Of Norway Rats In Your Home
The Norway rat is one problematic pest, and it can cause a lot of damage to your home if the situation is not addressed quickly. These pests are known to gnaw on wires, which can lead to fires in your home. They also like to chew on wood, insulation, and pipes. Not to mention, they can contaminate your food and spread harmful diseases such as hantavirus and typhus. So how can you tell if you have a Norway rat invasion in your home?
There are a few signs to look out for:
- Chew marks: Because Norway rats like to chew on wood, insulation, and pipes, if you see gnaw marks on wood or plastic, it's a good indication that you have a rat problem.
- Droppings: Norway rats leave behind droppings that are about half an inch long and spindle-shaped. If you find droppings in your home, be sure to safely clean them up right away and call a pest control professional.
- Nests: Norway rats will often build nests out of materials like paper or insulation. If you find a nest in your home, it's a good idea to call an Indianapolis pest control company right away.
- Sounds of scurrying in your walls or ceilings: If you hear these tell-tale sounds of rodents, it may be due to Norway rats in your home.
- Rat holes in your yard or around your foundation: Norway rats like to burrow, and they often create tunnels underground. If you find any suspicious holes, it's a good idea to call a pest control company for an inspection.
Once they've gotten into your home, Norway rats can be very difficult to get rid of. They're experts at hiding, and they can squeeze into small spaces. What's more, they reproduce quickly, so if you have a few rats, chances are good that you'll soon have many more.
The best way to get rid of rats in your Indianapolis home is to call an Indianapolis pest control company like Action Pest Control. We'll be able to quickly assess the situation and develop a plan to get rid of the rats for good.
Where Do Norway Rats Like To Hide?
Norway rats are secretive creatures, and they like to hide in dark, out-of-the-way places. In the wild, they build their nests in burrows underground. But when they invade homes, they often like to hide anywhere that's dark and quiet, including:
- In crawl spaces: If your home has a crawl space, rats may be hiding there. They like to build their nests in these dark, quiet places.
- In basements: Basements are another favorite hiding place for rats. They often nest in corners or behind furnaces.
- In walls: Norway rats are good at squeezing into small spaces, so they can often be found inside walls. Rats inside walls may construct nests in the wall voids or behind electrical outlets.
- Behind appliances: If you have rats in your home, they may be hiding behind your refrigerator, stove, or other appliances.
- Under porches or decks: If you have a porch or deck, rats may be hiding underneath it.
Once Norway rats find a place to hide, they're often reluctant to leave. They will build their nests there and reproduce, quickly creating a full-blown infestation. If you think you may have a rat problem, it's important to call an Indianapolis pest control company right away.
At Action Pest Control, we have extensive experience dealing with all kinds of pests, including rats. We'll be able to quickly and efficiently get rid of the rats in your home, and we'll also help you to prevent future rat infestations.
The Safest Way To Get Rid Of Norway Rats
When Norway rats invade, many people will run to the store and buy traps or poison. But this is actually a very dangerous way to try to get rid of rats. When traps are improperly set, they can injure or kill innocent animals, like pets or wildlife. And when poison is used, it can also be dangerous to people and pets.
It's best to leave rat control up to the professionals. At Action Pest Control, we have the experience and expertise to safely and effectively get rid of rats. We use a variety of methods to safely and effectively get rid of rats, including:
- Baiting: This method uses food to lure rats into traps. We use a variety of baits that are attractive to rats, and we'll set the traps in strategic locations throughout your home.
- Trapping: Our expert technicians will set traps that are specifically designed to catch rats in high-traffic areas around your home. This is a very effective method, and our expert care ensures it's also safe for humans and pets.
- Exclusion: We will find all of the entry points that the rats are using to get into your home, and we will seal them off. This will keep any future rats from being able to get into your home.
All of our non-chemical methods are safe and effective, and they will help to keep your home rat-free. If you're dealing with a Norway rat problem, give us a call today. We'll be happy to help.
Total Rodent Prevention For Indianapolis Residents
You may be wondering how to prevent a Norway rat problem from happening in the first place. There are a few simple things that you can do to deter these rats from choosing your home as their own:
- Keep your trash cans clean and sealed. Rats are attracted to food waste, so be sure to keep your trash cans free of food debris. You should also avoid leaving food out in the open.
- Keep shrubs and trees trimmed. Rats like to hide in dense vegetation, so keeping shrubs and trees trimmed can help to deter them.
- Seal up any cracks or holes. Rats can squeeze through very small spaces, so it's important to seal up any cracks or holes in your home. This includes gaps around doors and windows, as well as holes in your foundation.
- Keep clutter to a minimum. Rats like to hide in cluttered areas, and keeping your home neat and tidy will remove these hiding spaces. This includes storing boxes off of the ground and keeping your garage and basement clean.
- Keep your yard clean. If you have a lot of debris in your yard, it's more likely that rats will want to make their home there. Be sure to keep your yard clean and free of any potential hiding spots.
- Wipe up any food spills. Food spills are like an open invitation for rats. Be sure to wipe up any food spills and crumbs right away, and vacuum regularly to keep your home clean.
- Use mesh to seal off vents. Rats can enter your home through vents, and wire mesh is a good way to seal them off. You should also check your screens to make sure that they're in good condition.
- Call a pest control professional. If you already have a rat problem, the best thing to do is to call an Indianapolis pest control expert like Action Pest Control. We'll be able to quickly and efficiently get rid of the rats, and we can also help you to prevent future infestations.
If you follow these simple tips, you can help to prevent a Norway rat problem before it starts. And if you do have a rat problem, be sure to call Action Pest Control. We're the Indianapolis pest control pros, and we're here to help.
Our mission is to provide you with timely, effective service from professionals you can trust. We're experts at getting rid of all kinds of pests, including relentless rats. We also offer 24/7 emergency services, so you can rest assured that we'll be there when you need us. Contact us today to learn more about our rodent control services in Indianapolis or to schedule a no-obligation inspection.
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Action is trusted by over 23,000 happy customers, see what our customers are saying!
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”