Winter Ants In Terre Haute
Here in Terre Haute, Indiana, ants are not generally a problem in winter, but there are conditions that can make them a problem, even when temperatures drop below freezing. If you have an area underneath your home where there is warm dirt, or if ants have built a satellite colony inside your walls, you can have ant problems throughout the winter. Warmth is the first and most important requirement for ants to be active in winter.
Don't Ants Hibernate?
Although you can use the term "hibernation" to describe what ants do in winter, what ants do in winter is more accurately called diapause. This is a state of arrested development that animals enter into when their environment becomes inappropriate for growth. Since it is not a scheduled event, they will immediately react when their environment becomes appropriate again; or they may choose to stay active all winter long if their environment never changes. This can make ants an issue for homeowners even in the dead of winter.
If you're finding ants in your Terre Haute home this winter, here are some things you should know:
- It is important to determine whether or not the ants in your home are carpenter ants. Carpenter ants are destructive to the wood of your home and should be dealt with when found. You can identify these ants in a number of ways. Carpenter ants in Terre Haute are the largest ant you'll find inside your home. They can be between 6mm and 12mm in length. They are entirely black or a mixture of red and black, and these ants have a single node between their abdomen and thorax.
- If ants are active in your home, they have found a food source. Since ants are omnivores, it is hard to know what they've been eating. Clean things up in the kitchen, especially under the toaster where crumbs can be left. Make sure you put pet food away between meals. Also, consider putting soiled dishes in a sink full of water instead of in a dry stack on the counter.
- If you're finding ants all over your kitchen trash can, it is a good idea to clean the exterior and interior of the container.
- If you're finding ants in your pantry, it is wise to get plastic, sealable containers to protect your food.
- Wherever you see ant trails, you should spray soapy water or vinegar on those trails, to get rid of the pheromone scent the ants are using to find the food. It is also smart to follow the ant trail to locate the food source those ants are traveling back and forth from.
If ants are driving you crazy in Terre Haute this winter, the pest experts here at Action Pest Control can track those pests down and get rid of the problem with our professional ant control service. With 24-hour emergency service response and over 70 state-certified pest management professionals, you can trust Action to take action and give you a solution you can live with.
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Action is trusted by over 23,000 happy customers, see what our customers are saying!
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”