Don't Do It Yourself When It Comes To Bed Bug Infestations In Terre Haute
January 7, 2020
There are many pests that can get into your Terre Haute home. Through the years, you've probably come up with some ways to protect yourself from some of them. But we're here to tell you that you've never met a bug like the bed bug. These insects live almost exclusively with humans and they are experts at eluding extermination attempts. If you try to do this pest control yourself, you're likely to regret it.
There are so many suggestions on the internet for how to get rid of bed bugs and there is an endless sea of people searching for answers to questions such as, "What scent keeps bed bugs away?" "What home remedy will kill bed bugs?" "What's a good way to get rid of bed bugs?" But the answers they find seldom solve the problem.
What Never Works
There is a trend right now toward natural pest control. This is a very good trend for most pest problems because it limits the amount of chemicals used. But natural remedies are far from effective with bed bugs. If you're considering tea tree oil, baking soda, mothballs, rubbing alcohol, diatomaceous earth, talcum powders or some other natural products for repelling or eliminating bed bugs, you should reconsider. These don't work. Here are a few reasons why:
- Topical products don't get in deep where bed bugs are hiding.
- Products that "repel" are not going to eliminate an infestation. Bed bugs aren't going to go out into your yard because they can't live in your yard.
- Traps or treatments may eliminate a few bed bugs but rarely get them all. Bed bugs have behavior patterns that help them avoid threats.
What Works Sometimes
There are many methods for stopping bed bugs from biting and for getting rid of bed bugs. These can sometimes work if an infestation is isolated.
- You may put encasements on your mattresses and box springs and install insect climb-ups to get those bugs as they try to get you. But bed bugs can feed on you when you're not sleeping. They can nibble on you while you watch television on your couch, while you work on your computer, or while you relax with a good book.
- You may be able to put clothing through a hot wash and dryer cycle to eliminate bed bugs in all stages of development. If that is the only location those bugs are, you could stop them. But, if you miss some bugs or some eggs, that infestation is going to take root.
- If you find bed bugs in an item, you may be able to kill those bugs by freezing or heating them. This is extremely difficult to do and it could ruin the item before it kills the bed bugs.
If you find bed bugs on an item and you vacuum them up, you might stop an infestation by placing the vacuum bag outside. But bed bugs are seldom isolated to one spot.
We offer these and other tips when we talk about how to avoid bed bugs. But they really aren't the best choice for bed bug extermination.
What Always Works
If you've discovered bed bugs in your Terre Haute home, contact the bed bug experts. At Action Pest Control, we use advanced and comprehensive methods and technologies to find and eliminate bed bugs. No matter how big or how small your infestation, we can help you get rid of bed bugs. And because we offer so many options, we can direct you toward a solution you can afford. One size and one cost does not fit all. For more information or to schedule service, reach out to us today.
< Previous Next >