American Cockroach Prevention Tips
The American cockroach is a winged, reddish-brown cockroach that is about 1.5 inches long and oval in shape. Young nymphs are gray-brown. Though these creatures have wings, they rarely fly unless temperatures are over 85 degrees. This bug's favorite thing to feed on is fermenting foods, but they will feed on anything from sweet foods to the back of wallpaper. This roach can be found in basements, crawl spaces, and floor drains. They prefer damp locations and access to water, so places like basements, and areas around tubs and showers, are places you're likely to see them.
Here are some things you can do inside and outside of your home to resist the American cockroach.
- Carefully examine your foundation, outside walls and roof area for any gaps or cracks. Use a caulking gun to fill in those holes. Pay attention to areas around pipes, windows, air conditioning units, and anything else that goes into the home.
- Clean out all gutters and window wells.
- Repair any water leaks from outside spigots.
- Direct overflow water away from your home.
- Remove any standing water that is near your house.
- Store firewood away from your home and lift it off the ground. This will help eliminate harborage areas.
- Clear away all yard clutter where cockroaches can hide.
- Make sure all outside trash is stored in tightly sealed containers.
- Thoroughly clean all areas where food is present, pay close attention to areas such as under the refrigerator and between the stove and counter.
- Keep other areas free of crumbs by vacuuming carpets, furniture, and anything else where food particles may be present.
- Store all food either in the fridge or in tightly sealed containers.
- Pick up pet food between feedings.
- Dry out moist areas by using fans or a dehumidifier.
These tips will work to block or resist American cockroaches or keep them from getting into your Lexington home, but the implementation of these tips isn't a complete solution, and they will not fully protect you and your family from the illnesses that cockroaches can spread. If you want to fully seal your home from cockroaches, you'll need the help of an expert.
When these or any other pest appear, the team here at Action Pest Control can help you fix that problem for good. We employ experienced and educated home pest control professionals who know the habits and habitats of pest insects and wildlife. When you need to know that your home is 100% protected from the threat of pests, take action and get Action.
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Action is trusted by over 23,000 happy customers, see what our customers are saying!
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”