Aedes Aegypti Mosquitoes Vs. Asian Tiger Mosquitoes
May 10, 2018
It’s that time of year again! No, we are not talking about how nice the weather is, or how the spring flowers are popping up everywhere. For residents in Indianapolis, it’s the most dreaded mosquito season. That means the start of the never-ending battle with small buzzing insects that can cause everyone to want to run for cover.
Mosquito buzzing is not the biggest problem, but rather the itchy bites from them. These bites are accompanied by the risk of viruses that the mosquitoes carry. Mosquitoes are known to carry the West Nile virus. Some people will experience a fever accompanied by other some other symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting, joint pain, body aches, headache, rash, fatigue, and weakness that can last for weeks or months. On rare occasions, the West Nile virus can affect the central nervous system and become fatal. Other diseases that mosquitoes carry is the chikungunya virus, Zika virus, malaria, yellow fever, encephalitis, dengue fever, and more.
The two most common mosquitoes in Indianapolis are the Aedes aegypti (also known as the yellow fever mosquito) and Asian tiger mosquitoes. They are both small and black with white stripes on their backs and legs. They both can carry a variety of viruses that you will want to stay away from. That is why it is so important to stay away from all species of mosquitoes and limit their population in your own backyard.
Here are some general mosquito prevention tips to help you prevent contact with them:
- Make sure your window and door screens are not missing or damaged
- Inspect your weather stripping to be sure it is not worn out
- Keep doors closed whenever possible
- You can use a fan outdoors to “blow” the mosquitoes away
- Remove all sources of standing water around your yard to limit breeding
- Wear protective clothing made from netting material when working outdoors
- Wear loose-fitting, light-colored long sleeves and pants
- Use repellent that contains DEET
- Use a professional pest control company that can help you decrease the mosquito population in your yard
In Indianapolis, contact Action Pest Control, we can help you protect your family with our comprehensive mosquito reduction program. We know everything there is to know about mosquito behavior and biology, as well as staying up to date on the most current products, methods, and processes regarding mosquito reduction. Our services reduce mosquito larvae, eliminate breeding locations, and reduce the risk of mosquito-borne illnesses. We take care of the mosquitoes in your yard and you get to enjoy time outside with your family and friends.
Contact us today at Action Pest Control, about our mosquito services that run April to October.
< Previous Next >