The odorous house ant, which is often called a sugar ant because of its love for substances that have high sugar content, is a serious household pest. These ants can create colonies inside the voids of your home and mobilize an army in the tens of thousands in a matter of minutes. This is because an odorous house ant colony can have over a hundred thousand individuals. Trust us when we say that the unfavorable smell these ants produce when you crush them underfoot is the least of your problems when odorous house ants infest your home. As we were considering what Louisville homeowners ought to know most about odorous house ants, it was clear what direction we needed to go. Here's everything you need to know about keeping odorous house ants out of your home.
It is important to know whether or not you're dealing with odorous house ants or some other ants. Look for these characteristics:
- Workers are between one-sixteenth and one-eighth of an inch long.
- They are brown or black.
- They have one node at the waist, between the thorax and abdomen. This node is covered by the abdomen.
- You may see winged reproductives. These ants are larger than the workers and are sometimes mistaken for winged carpenter ants because of their black coloration. But keep in mind that a winged carpenter ant will be between one-half and five-eighths inches long.
Okay. You Have Odorous House Ants. Now What?
You can have some success keeping odorous house ants away from the exterior of your home, and reduce your chances of an infestation by considering the following prevention tips:
These ants are strongly attracted to damp conditions. They will seek damp areas of your landscaping and gravitate to humid areas inside your home. You can resist them by making sure there are no conditions that create standing water on your property. Here are a few tips:
- Remove containers that can collect water.
- Clean gutters.
- Fix damaged gutters, splash guards, and downspouts.
- Fix plumbing issues.
- Refrain from watering your plants in the evening.
- Trim tree branches to let the sunlight dry your soil.
- Remove unnecessary vegetation in your landscaping.
Sealing Entry Points
There are many ways odorous house ants can get into your home. Here some common vulnerabilities they target:
- Cracks in your foundation walls.
- Gaps around pipes that pass through your foundation's walls.
- Gaps around door and window frames.
- Holes in door and window frames.
- Gaps in the weatherstripping around doors.
- Chipped mortar around bricks.
- Holes created by wood-destroying pests in sole plates and other timbers.
- Gaps around pipes.
Do a detailed inspection of your home and seal any entry points you find. Pay close attention to areas where there is wood rot due to moisture damage or pipes that are leaking. These are prime locations for odorous house ant activity.
Odorous house ants have a preference for nesting in woodpiles. If you have stacked wood near your home, consider moving it away from your exterior.
Sometimes odorous house ants use branches as bridges to get to your home. Trim your bushes, shrubs, and trees to prevent contact with your exterior.
When it comes to keeping ants and other pests out of your home, it pays to have a licensed and experienced pest control professional perform routine treatments around your exterior, and give you interior treatments if they're needed. This is where we can help. Our residential pest control plans offer the highest level of control for all the pests that get into Louisville homes. Some of the many services we provide with our pest control plans are:
- Exterior pest defense.
- Cobweb removal around your exterior.
- Installation and monitoring of rodent stations around your exterior.
- Pest proofing to seal pests out of your home.
- Interior pest treatments.
- Unlimited service calls.
- A yearly attic inspection.
- Fully guaranteed service.
If you have had it with odorous house ants, or you'd like to never "have it" with these frustrating, smelly ants, take action and get Action. Connect with us today and request a free pest control estimate for your home. We look forward to meeting you and guiding you in this important pest protection for your health and property.
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”