Adult fruit flies are about 1/8 of an inch (3mm) long, with bright red eyes, tan heads and thoraxes, and blackish striped abdomens. Like all flies, they develop by complete metamorphosis. The female deposits eggs (as many as 500) on the surface of fermenting organic material. Larvae can begin to emerge in as little as 30 hours later. Fruit fly larvae are small, legless white maggots that have a pointed end. The larvae will feed for five to six days and then crawl to a dry area to pupate, with the adult emerging a few days later. The entire life cycle can take as little as eight days under ideal conditions.
Biology and Behavior
- Fruit flies are primarily attracted to fresh and fermenting fruits and vegetables and other rotting, fermenting organic materials.
- Because the adult frequents unsanitary conditions, fruit flies are a significant health concern as they can transfer disease-causing bacteria to food.
- Small fruit fly larvae ingested from infested fruit can cause intestinal discomfort and diarrhea by intestinal myiasis.
- One rotting piece of fruit can produce hundreds of flies. So all that is needed is one damaged apple in a box, one overripe banana at the bottom of a fruit bowl, or one onion dropped and forgotten under a cabinet to cause an 'explosion.'
- Recycle bins and trash receptacles, and soda fountain drains, refrigerator condensate pans, non-skid floor mats, garbage disposals, and sometimes floor drains are common sites in commercial kitchens.
Fruit Fly Prevention Tips
- Eliminating the breeding sites through sanitation and moisture control are the only methods for long-standing control.
- Applications of bio enzyme-based cleaning agents and growth regulators are beneficial in eliminating organic material in unseen microenvironments.
- Use lids and liners on trash receptacles to keep out foraging flies and aid in cleaning-empty daily.
- Do not stop searching when one source of infestation is found. There are often more.
- Insect light traps, fruit fly traps, and contact fogging applications will only eliminate exposed adults, which are only a symptom and will soon be replaced by other developing flies.
Action's Fly Control Services
- Small Fly Control
- Restaurant & Commercial Kitchen Services
- Complete And Advanced Home Pest Control
- Commercial & Industrial Pest Management Services
Helpful Articles About Fruit Flies
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Action is trusted by over 23,000 happy customers, see what our customers are saying!
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”