Adult boxelder bugs have a unique appearance in that they are black and have red or orangish outlined wings. Their bodies have an elongated oval shape, and they are capable of flying. Young boxelder bugs look a bit different than the adults. Not only are they smaller in size, but they are almost entirely red and are wingless.
Biology and Behavior
- Boxelder bugs feed on soft plant tissues (leaves, flowers, and young branches) of the tree in which they live. Using their specialized mouthparts, they draw the liquid out of the tree.
- Except in large infestations, boxelder bugs do not inflict much damage to the trees they feed on.
- Boxelder bugs live outside until late summer or early fall when the weather begins to cool, and then they move inside of buildings to find a safe, warm spot to spend the winter.
- Boxelder bugs are attracted to the warm sunny sides of buildings and congregate in large numbers on them where they often take advantage of cracks or gaps in exterior walls or around windows and doors and make their way inside.
- During the winter, boxelder bugs hide behind walls, in attics, and in crawl spaces. In the spring, they move back outside when the weather warms up to begin feeding and breeding once again.
- Boxelder bugs are considered a nuisance pest and aren't dangerous but can stain personal items, furniture, and curtains with their excrement.
Boxelder Bug Prevention Tips
- Inspect the exterior of your home and seal any cracks or openings in the exterior walls or foundation.
- Caulk spaces around windows and doors.
- Fill in spaces around utility entrances.
- Repair holes or tears in screens.
- Install door sweeps on the bottom of all exterior doors.
Action's Boxelder Bug Control Services
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Action is trusted by over 23,000 happy customers, see what our customers are saying!
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”