Why All The Fuss About Zika?
By now, you have probably heard about Zika. There is hardly a news agency that has not covered the story of this scary virus that has finally made its way to the United States. But mosquito-borne viruses are nothing new for Louisville residents. We've been dealing with mosquito illness for as long as we've had mosquitoes, and while Zika is not yet a local threat, viruses like West Nile and dengue are.
You may not know this, but not all mosquitoes can spread deadly viruses. It's true. Some mosquitoes are worse than others. That is one of the reasons why you have been bitten so many times and never gotten sick--well, not that you were aware of. But don't allow this to lull you into complacency. If you get bitten by an Aedes aegypti or Aedes albopictus--both of which live in Kentucky--you could be in trouble. These two mosquito species are most responsible for the spread of infectious diseases in the United States.
Mosquito Protection for Louisville
- Mosquito repellent is still the number one prevention for mosquito bites. Make sure you get a repellent that has DEET, citronella, or oil of lemon eucalyptus.
- If you are opposed to putting repellent on your skin, consider spraying it on your clothing.
- Be aware that going out in the morning and evening when mosquitoes are most active will increase your chances of being bitten.
- Be aware that mosquitoes are attracted to CO2, high body temperature, and sweat. When you exert yourself outside, you make yourself more of a target.
- Studies in Japan have shown that drinking alcohol can increase your chances of being bitten.
- Be aware that mosquitoes target people wearing dark colors. This is because their eyesight is bad, and they must use silhouettes against the horizon to target their victims.
- A breeze can keep mosquitoes from landing on you. If you don't have a natural breeze in your backyard, consider creating one with fans. If you're going to be near marshes, still water, or in the woods where it is shady, understand that mosquito activity will be higher in these places. Wearing clothing with mosquito netting can prevent bites.
- Mosquito abatement services for your yard will reduce mosquitoes and can reduce your chances of being bitten by mosquitoes in your yard. Many mosquitoes will travel less than 300 yards in their lifetime. That means the mosquitoes that are most likely to bite you were born in your yard or in your neighborhood.
If you live in Louisville, take action and get Action to reduce breeding sites, adult mosquitoes, and mosquito eggs in your yard. Deadly mosquito-borne viruses are nothing new. Be part of the solution that has made the United States one of the safest places to live in the world. Get mosquito control services for your home or business today.
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Action is trusted by over 23,000 happy customers, see what our customers are saying!
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”