So, You've Discovered Your Louisville Home Has Bed Bugs; Now What?
December 10, 2019
Bed bugs are hard pests to deal with because of their size and ability to hide. Spotting a bed bug doesn’t necessarily mean that you have a full-blown infestation in your home. However, it could be an indication of a problem. It’s important to learn how to establish that you do in fact have a bed bug infestation, then take steps to eliminate it. Action Pest Control technicians are experts at dealing with bed bug infestations in Louisville homes. We can treat for bed bugs but also offer ongoing year-round pest control to prevent reinfestation.
How to Establish That It Is Indeed a Bed Bug Infestation
You won’t often see bed bugs or their eggs or nymphs. Because of this, you’ll have to rely on other methods of determining if you have a bed bug infestation. Some signs to look for include:
- Brown or reddish spots on pillows, sheets, or walls around your bed. This can be bed bug feces or blood stains from their bites.
- Pungent odor coming from bed pillows and bedsheets; bed bugs in large numbers can give off a musty smell
- Red itchy spots on your body, particularly in clusters or a line, on exposed skin, indicating bites
- Bug body parts, the exoskeletons that have been shed as the bed bugs grow
If you spot a bed bug, it will likely be in the back of a drawer, hiding in the pages of a book, behind loose or peeling wallpaper, or in the seams of your mattress or box spring. They have a flattish-oval body shape, resembling an apple seed, brown to reddish-brown in color.
What It Takes to Completely Get Rid of Bed Bugs
It is nearly impossible to exterminate a bed bug infestation without help from pest professionals, but there are some ways in which you can attempt to help prevent them from settling into your home.
- Clean pillows, sheets, and clothing in hot water and dry them in the dryer on the highest setting. Put items that cannot be washed in the dryer and run on high for 30 minutes.
- Repair cracks in walls and make sure that peeling wallpaper is glued down to get rid of bed bug hiding spots.
- Establish a plan with your family for emptying suitcases, backpacks, totes, and purses in a mudroom or garage before bringing them into your home.
- Take preventative measures when out and about that includes not setting your belongings on surfaces without inspecting the area first
Call the Professionals
If you suspect bed bugs, the most efficient way to get rid of them is to call the professionals. In the Louisville area, Action Pest Control is your partner in eliminating bed bugs from your home. We use a combination of treatment services including K9 bed bug-sniffing dogs and heat treatments to precisely and safely eliminate bed bugs from your home.
Since bed bugs don't care what season it is, year-round pest control is the safest option when it comes to protecting your home from bed bugs. At Action Pest Control we offer plans that are effective at helping to prevent infestation of your Louisville home. Contact us today if you suspect a bed bug infestation or want to prevent one.
< Previous Next >