Indianapolis's Complete Fall Pest Prevention Guide
September 10, 2020
While you might associate most pest problems with summertime, pest issues can happen year-round. Depending on the season, the pests you'll encounter around your Indianapolis property will vary. Summertime and wintertime pests might be different, but they can all cause property damage and pose health issues.
Certain pests start to be a problem during the fall when they look for a way inside as the weather cools down. Many species need shelter from the cooling temperatures, so you might find you are suddenly dealing with pests that you hadn't seen much of during the summer. Some of the most common fall pests in the Indianapolis area include:
What Problems Do Fall Pests Bring?
While no one ever wants to deal with pests, no matter the time of the year, many common fall pests are more than just a nuisance. Many problems can arise for homeowners when certain pests start coming indoors looking for shelter.
Here are just a few of the major issues that these pest bring:
- Pests like cockroaches and rodents can spread many diseases to humans, including hantavirus, salmonella, and gastroenteritis.
- Rodents and cockroaches can also cause allergic reactions and asthma attacks.
- Spiders, especially the black widow and brown recluse, can bite and cause health issues for people with their venom.
- Rodents can ruin property as they gnaw through anything from pipes to wires to drywall.
- Things like mouse droppings can lead to respiratory issues.
- Cockroaches and rodents can also contaminate food and food sources.
- Certain fall pests, such as beetles and cockroaches, can spread quickly and become invasive.
Fall Pest Prevention Tips
Because common fall pests can cause so many Indianapolis homeowners problems, taking steps to prevent them is vital. While you can't always completely prevent these pests, you can help deter them by making your home or business less appealing.
Here are some overall pest prevention methods:
- Many pests are attracted to moisture-rich environments, so address moisture in your home by fixing leaky pipes and faucets.
- Also, make sure that crawl spaces and basements are well-ventilated to reduce moisture.
- Store pet food in airtight containers.
- Make sure outdoor trash cans have tight fitting lids, and be sure to take out the indoor trash often.
- Seal up entry points by fixing screens in doors and windows.
- Fix cracks and crevices in the foundation to reduce access points.
- Declutter often.
- Don't store firewood close to the exterior of your home.
- Make sure to clean up things like grass and leaf piles.
- Mow your lawn frequently and take steps to prepare your yard for winter.
- Vacuum, sweep, and keep you kitchen and bathrooms clean.
- Get help from pest control professionals.
The Best Way To Prevent Fall Pests
While there are some things you can do yourself to prevent pests year-round, the best form of pest protection comes with on-going professional assistance from the experts at Action Pest Control. We are here to help you prevent fall and winter pests and remove any current infestations. To learn more or to get started today with your free estimate, contact our team today.
< Previous Next >