How to Limit Your Mosquito Exposure Risk in Terre Haute
April 25, 2019
Mosquitoes are due to return soon if they have not already arrived. However, most people have their sights set on spending a lot more time outdoors. The return of mosquitoes is mostly due to the warm, humid conditions. If your yard provides ample opportunities for mosquitoes to lay their eggs in standing water, then their population will increase exponentially.
There is so much fun to be had in your own backyard, including:
However, it isn't much fun if your time outdoors is spent swatting at mosquitoes or running for cover when their persistence becomes overwhelming. You avoid mosquito bites because they cause itchy bumps, but more importantly, you should avoid their bites to prevent the transmission of mosquito-borne illnesses that they carry to you or your family. If mosquitoes are in your backyard, you are at risk for Zika, West Nile, malaria, yellow fever, chikungunya, and dengue fever. Not all mosquitoes carry these diseases. However, the rate is rising every year, so why risk it?
Preventing Mosquitoes on Your Property
Some of your best personal protection methods include:
- Wearing long-sleeved shirts and long pants whenever you go outdoors.
- Avoiding marshy areas and woodlands where mosquitoes will be more prevalent.
- Wearing an effective mosquito repellent like DEET or lemon eucalyptus.
- Using a high powered fan on your deck when outdoors may blow mosquitoes away.
Since it’s impossible to eliminate every single mosquito, there are a few steps you can take to discourage mosquitoes from breeding on your property:
- Eliminate standing water by going around your yard and emptying items that are collecting water. Look for things like tools, toys, tarps, kiddie pools, buckets, and wheelbarrows.
- Repair leaky spigots.
- Clean out clogged gutters.
- Make sure that water is draining well from your yard.
Even after trying these avoidance methods and prevention tips, you may still find yourself inundated with a large mosquito population. The best way to limit your mosquito exposure risk in Terre Haute is to call on the professionals at Action Pest Control.
We offer a mosquito control program created to target mosquitoes specific to the area. We start with a thorough inspection to find common breeding spots and frequent landing sites. Once a month, during mosquito season (April through October), our professional technicians will return to treat your yard to drastically reduce the mosquito population. We also offer special one-time services for parties, weddings, and other outdoor events.
It’s not too late! Give us a call at Action Pest Control for more information about our mosquito control programs!
< Previous Next >