How familiar are you with spiders in Louisville? Would you be able to tell the difference between an orb weaver and a purseweb spider? Could you pick a jumping spider out in a lineup? Are you able to identify a black widow spider or a brown recluse? If not, you are not alone. Learning about creepy spiders isn't on the to-do list for most people. We understand. Spiders are pretty creepy to look at. But you should familiarize yourself with spider prevention if you want to keep Louisville spiders out of your home. Fortunately, you have come to the right place to do it. Below are seven easy and effective spider-prevention tips that can help keep all spiders out of your Louisville property. If you have a recurring issue with spiders, reach out to us for pest control in Louisville today!
1. Reduce Moisture
Spiders like moist habitats. They can be found living in tall grass, overgrown vegetation, and plants that stay moist. Obviously, you can't make your plants as dry as a bone, but you can reduce spider activity by reducing moisture. Use these tips:
- Keep your grass trimmed.
- Remove weeds and other unnecessary vegetation from your landscaping and yard.
- Water your plants early, and only give them as much water as they need.
- Trim tree canopy in areas that tend to get a lot of shade.
- Clean your gutters and make sure everything is working properly.
2. Reduce Hiding Places
Spiders hide in many places. They can hide in holes, cinder blocks, tires, playground equipment, brush piles, logs, and more. Consider the places that spiders can hide and do what you can to remove these hiding places:
- Fill holes in.
- Remove rock and woodpiles.
- Store objects inside.
- Remove objects from your property.
3. Reduce Entry Points
Spiders get into your home because they can. If you make it more difficult for them, you'll have fewer encounters with spiders on the inside of your Louisville home. Here are a few common entry points.
- Wood holes created by animals or insects that chew wood.
- Damaged or missing door sweeps.
- Damaged weather stripping.
- Gaps that have developed around exterior door or window frames.
- Small openings in screen frames, or gaps where screen frames are secured to windows or doors.
4. Reduce Interior Humidity
If spiders find a way into your home, you can put out the unwelcome mat by reducing humidity. Spiders prefer a humid interior. Here are a few ideas:
- Install dehumidifiers.
- Install ventilation and fans.
- Use bathroom fans to vent moisture out while bathing or taking a shower.
5. Reduce Spider Food
When spiders explore the outside or inside of your Louisville home, they're looking for food. If they find it, they're likely to stick around. You can tell them to gently move along by reducing food options.
- Keep your trash in clean, sealed receptacles. Flies are attracted to the scent of rotting organic matter, and spiders are attracted to areas where flies are abundant.
- Keep the lights off at night. Many insects are attracted to light. If your exterior is illuminated at night, insects will come running—or flying. And spiders won't be far behind.
- Keep your plants as healthy as possible. Plant rot can attract insects, and this will lure spiders to your perimeter.
6. Reduce Spiders
This tip may sound strange at first, but it will make sense in a moment. All of the tips we've given so far have been preventative tips. This one is targeted at the spiders themselves. You may not realize this but, when you see webs and you don't remove them, you let the spider population around your home grow quickly. One web can have a sac with 300 spider eggs in it! When those eggs hatch, you'll have 300 spiderlings crawling around. Those spiderlings are going to grow to be adult spiders, and some of those new adult spiders are females— which can lay more eggs near your home. When you see spider webs, remove them and destroy them. This will work to directly reduce spiders around or inside your home.
Louisville Spider Control
If you need more control or all the above sounds like too much work, contact Action Pest Control. Our licensed pest professionals can help you get control of spiders around and inside your home. We can also help you keep spiders and other Louisville pests out, long-term. No family should be without home pest control services in Louisville, KY. Let us help you select the right service for your home and your family. Take action and get Action today!
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Action is trusted by over 23,000 happy customers, see what our customers are saying!
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”