What You Need To Know About Termite Swarms
In spring when the ground begins to warm, king and queen termites take to the air by the hundreds--and sometimes by the thousands--to reproduce and start a new colony. When you see a swarm in the air, or termites all over your house or property, you might be tempted to think that they came from somewhere else, but this is not usually the case. Swarmers are not good fliers, and will travel only a short distance--or a moderate distance if carried by strong winds. That means there is a healthy termite colony near your home. And, if you don't have a termite control system in place, that termite colony could already be eating the wood of your home.
Termites are a silent invader, and can feed on a home for years, without detection. They live in the soil near a home and build mud tubes on basement walls to gain access to wooden exterior walls. Often, the first sign that termites are eating your home, will be these swarmers. If you see a termite swarm near your Indianapolis home call Action Pest Control and have them inspect your home immediately.
If you have not seen a swarm yet, there are ways you can make your home less attractive to termites swarmers.
- Keep all mulch and landscaping at least 2 feet from your basement walls.
- Make sure there is no standing water near your foundation. Keep gutters in good working condition, and make sure water is channeled away from the house. Fix any leaky spigots. And, fill in areas where rainwater collects.
- If you have an air conditioner, make sure it doesn't leave a puddle of condensation on the ground beneath it.
- Keep construction materials, wood piles, and other wood products, off the ground and away from your exterior walls.
- If you have moisture in your cellar use dehumidifiers to dry those areas out.
Any time you see a mass of insects with two silver wings that are equal in length, call Action Pest Control to come take a look. They can tell you if they are flying ants or termites. With billions of dollars in property damage attributed to termites every year, don't take the chance of having termites infest your property. Take action, and call Action.
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”