The Most Effective Mosquito Control For Indianapolis Properties
June 7, 2022
Effective mosquito control is necessary for Indianapolis properties to avoid the diseases carried by mosquitoes and itchy bites of this pest. Pest control in Indianapolis is one of the best ways to repel mosquitoes around your home and yard.
How To Identify A Mosquito
Mosquitoes have hair or feathery antennae and a narrow, oval-shaped body.
- Mosquito coloration ranges from greyish-brown to black with white, green, or blue markings.
- Mosquitoes have scales along the veins of their wings.
- Mosquitoes will have a proboscis, a long beak-like mouth that they use to drink blood. Additionally, mosquitoes will land on you and bite, unlike most flies.
The Dangerous Diseases Mosquitoes Are Known To Spread
Besides being a buzzing nuisance that loves to bite both humans and mammals, mosquitoes are well-known carriers of serious illnesses. The diseases you can pick up from a mosquito bite include the Zika virus, West Nile virus, malaria, dengue, and yellow fever. These illnesses can have severe consequences if medical attention is not received.
It is important to note that while not every mosquito is a carrier for these diseases, the more mosquitoes you have around to bite you increase your risk of encountering an infecting insect. This is why mosquito control is so crucial for your Indianapolis property.
How To Remove Factors That Attract Mosquitoes To Your Property
There are several natural ways to repel mosquitoes, including removing the factors that attract this pest to your property in the first place. We outline how to do this with our steps below:
Remove access to standing water on your property, as this can foster breeding grounds for mosquitoes. It only takes an inch of water for mosquitoes to lay eggs, so be sure to be thorough. Also, ensure your yard has proper drainage and that gutters are clear.
- Trim back foliage around your yard, keep shrubs trimmed, and make sure grass stays trimmed low, in addition to removing debris such as leaf litter and fallen branches. This makes your property less attractive to mosquitoes as they love sheltered and cool spaces.
- Put into place plants that repel mosquitoes such as citronella, marigold, and lemongrass around your property. The aroma of these plants will make your yard a less desirable place.
- Mosquitoes may be attracted inside to bite you if there are gaps in your windows and doors. Seal these up, keep exterior entrances closed often, and put sturdy window and door screens into place to keep this pest out.
Why Professional Mosquito Control Is The Best Way To Go
The best thing to get rid of mosquitoes is to invest in professional mosquito control provided by the experts at Action Pest Control. Only professionals can inspect your property and identify mosquito problem areas or breeding grounds. After this inspection, we will put tailored mosquito treatments into place that eliminates all traces of this pest and works to keep your yard mosquito-free in the long term.
< Previous Next >