Louisville Ants: How To Keep Them Out Of Your Home
It's official: you have ants. You've seen them scurrying across the floor and walls in your kitchen. Maybe you've even found them in your bedroom or bathroom. Wherever you find them, one thing is for sure; you want them gone.
But how do you get rid of ants? If you're dealing with an ant infestation, the best course of action is to contact pest control in Louisville today.
Gross! What Kind Of Ant Is This?
There are over 1,000 ant species in the US, but there are only a few species that commonly invade homes.
The most common types of ants found in homes in Louisville include:
- Carpenter ants: These ants are large and black or red. Carpenter ants damage wood by excavating tunnels in which to live and lay eggs.
- Odorous house ants: These small (1/8 inch long) black ants get their name from the rotten coconut smell they emit when crushed. They mostly nest outdoors but will come inside in search of food.
- Pavement ants: As the name suggests, these ants live in cracks in sidewalks, driveways, and the foundation of buildings. They are brown or black and 1/8 to 1/4 inch long.
- Pharaoh ants: These small yellow or light brown ants are difficult to control because they will nest just about anywhere inside a building, including between sheets of paper, inside electrical sockets, and in any crack or crevice they find.
The first step to ant control in Louisville is to identify the type of ant to determine the suitable course of action for treatment. If you find it challenging to identify the type of ant, contact an ant pest control near you.
The Problems Indoor Ants Can Cause In Your Home
While most ants are more of a nuisance than anything, some species can cause severe damage to your home.
- Carpenter ants, for example, can do extensive damage to the wood in your home.
- Odorous house ants and pavement ants are more likely to contaminate food sources with their feces and saliva, leading to illness.
- Pharaoh ants are known to spread disease, so it's vital to get rid of them as soon as possible.
- White ants, or termites that are not ants or closely related, eat wood and can cause extensive damage to your home if left untreated.
When it comes to ants, homeowners tend to notice damage after the fact. By then, it's often too late, and extensive and expensive damage or contamination has occurred.
If you fear you may have an ant issue, don't wait to call for an ant control service near your home. The sooner you act, the less damage they will do.
The Best Ant Killer Options For DIY Pest Control
With the rise in popularity of the do-it-yourself (DIY) culture, some people opt to take pest control into their own hands. While this may work for some pests, ants are not one of them.
There are a few reasons why you should leave ant extermination to the professionals:
- Ants are difficult to kill.
- Ants are good at hiding.
- Ants can return.
But, if you're determined to try to get rid of ants on your own, you can try a few options.
- Boric acid
- Diatomaceous earth
- Chemical ant baits
If you decide to go the DIY route, use caution and follow the instructions carefully. Improper use of these products can be dangerous to you, your family, and your pets. Should you require further assistance, ant control for homeowners is available. Please don't hesitate to call the professionals at Action Pest Control.
Let The Professionals Handle Ant Infestations For You
Ant pest control isn't a job for amateurs. If you have an ant problem, the best thing you can do is contact a professional pest control company. When it comes to ant control solutions, there's only one Louisville company you can trust to get the job done right—Action Pest Control.
With board-certified entomologists on staff, you can be sure that our team of experts will quickly and efficiently eliminate your ant problem, no matter how big or small. We also offer various pest control services to keep your home or business free of pests all year long. Don't wait until it's too late. Call us today!
What Action Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Action is trusted by over 23,000 happy customers, see what our customers are saying!
“ Your PEST CONTROL deserves a ten star rating!!!!!”
“ I wanted to tell you that we really enjoy having Jason as our technician. He is polite, professional and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns. Please give him a pat on the back from us for his good work. Thanks very much.”
“ Derek is always cooperative, enthusiastic, and professional. Excellent service whether I am home or not.”