Five Easy & Effective Ant Prevention Tips For Louisville Property Owners
June 14, 2021
Dozens of different species of ants are present in Kentucky. Most outdoor ant activity occurs from March through October; however, they are incredibly opportunistic and will move indoors to stay all year long. Ants are social insects, as they form colonies that might be composed of thousands.
Common Types Found In This Region
Odorous house ants are among the most likely to move indoors. They are small with a shiny black appearance, and they will release an unpleasant odor when crushed. Pavement ants are known for creating nests along walkways and have a dark brown or black appearance. Pavement ants are equipped with a stinger but are a minimal risk to humans.
Fire ants have a reddish-brown color and among the more aggressive species. They will deliver a painful sting to humans that can create adverse reactions among those with allergies. Carpenter ants are a species known for infiltrating water-damaged wooden structures and producing property damage as they burrow through them.
Best Practices For Preventing Ants
- Limit food sources: Promptly clean spills and keep floors and counters free of crumbs. Don’t leave out dirty dishes overnight. Ensure that trash cans have lids that seal completely.
- Create a barrier between the structure and the soil: Consider establishing a layer of stone or other types of inorganic material that creates separation between the foundation and the earth to deter and limit insects’ access.
- Fill entry points in exterior walls and the foundation: Closely survey the exterior walls and foundation for any cracks or other openings and fill them with a durable and water-resistant caulk or sealant.
- Cleaning indoor areas where they are found: Once ants have identified a source of food within a home, they create a trail of pheromones that communicates their find to others. It is helpful to clean the area using a soap or detergent promptly.
- Clear unnecessary clutter and debris: Properly maintain vegetation by trimming it back away from the property. Remove any piles of leaves, fallen trees, or other debris from the yard, and store firewood at a distance from the home’s exterior.
Importance Of Consulting With An Experienced Pest Exterminator
Although ants are familiar creatures that exist in nature, they are unwelcomed inside properties. Once they detect a potential food source, these pests tend to come in droves; therefore, it is vital to take swift action when you notice a problem with ants.
Some property owners underestimate the difficulty involved in eliminating major infestations of ants.
Many people try to use fabled home remedies or do-it-yourself products that are generally ineffective. These insects often travel deep into a structure to inaccessible locations, making your efforts to oust them unsuccessful. It is best to promptly seek assistance from a licensed local pest elimination professional that will thoroughly inspect the premises and create a solution.
Leading Provider Of Pest Control Services In Louisville
The team of experienced specialists at Action Pest Control has been delivering excellent results for property owners in this region for many years now. We use the latest treatment options for eradicating problems associated with ants, termites, bed bugs, and a host of other troublesome critters. In recent years, we have been among the industry leaders in adopting safe practices for humans and protecting the environment.
We now offer 24-hour emergency response services for those with significant pest-related concerns. We have also developed three ongoing pest protection plans that have proven to be very useful at a great value. Contact us today for a complimentary interior and exterior inspection and estimate.
< Previous Next >