Are Fruit Flies a Threat in Your Louisville Home?
July 10, 2018
Fruit flies love the summer because it is full of the things they like best: sweet and sticky foods! Summer also happens to coincide with their natural life cycle; fruit flies breed in the warm spring and summer months and as their populations grow, can create a nuisance in your Louisville home. One fruit fly can lay up to 500 eggs and those eggs can hatch within 24 hours, which means your fruit fly problem can get out of hand rather quickly! You might be thinking that fruit flies are no big deal, but that is not the case. These pests don’t bite, sting, and are not creepy like spiders or rodents, so why worry about them in your home? Let’s take a closer look at the threats fruit flies pose:
Fruit Fly Threats
Fruit flies are primarily considered nuisance pests; however, these pests can actually present health risks to you and your family, so it is important to take these tiny pests seriously.
- Fruit flies lay their eggs in fresh or rotting fruits and veggies and other organic materials.
- Humans can ingest the fruit fly larvae on these foods without realizing and become sick with gastrointestinal discomfort.
- When fruit flies feed or lay their eggs on your produce, they cause unnecessary food waste.
- Adult fruit flies hang out on rotted food and in trash bins where they pick up bacteria; they then transfer these bacteria to other surfaces around your home which can cause you or your family members to become ill.
- Finding one pest, like fruit flies, is usually a good indication that other pests can gain access to your home.
Preventing Fruit Flies in Louisville
Here are a few things you can do in and around your home to prevent fruit flies from becoming a problem:
- Keep your trash bins closed as to not attract fruit flies.
- Store produce in the refrigerator, when possible.
- Keep an eye on produce that is left out in bowls or on the counter for any signs of being overripe and either consume it or get rid of it before it attracts pests.
- Wipe up spills quickly and generally keep a clean home.
- Clean out sink drains frequently; pouring cleaner into them and letting it sit for thirty minutes can help as well.
Fruit Fly Exclusion
Because fruit flies are so small, about 1/8 of an inch long or less, they can easily enter your home through an open the door, small holes in screens, and cracks around windows and doors. The best way to eliminate these pests from your home and prevent them from entering is implementing professional pest control services. At Action Pest Control, we have several service plans including Premier, Complete, and Advanced to help keep your Louisville home free of fruit flies and other pests. Give us a call to learn more!
< Previous Next >